Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Life insurance

Meet people in the same sector as you or with similar situations.
wonderer
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Life insurance

Postby wonderer » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:40 pm

Was not sure where to place this post, so started a thread here.

Life insurance - do people need it?

If so - whole life, univerzal life, term?

Better to go with TELUS term or with an outside provider that can offer a group rate such as through a club or an association one might belong to (AMA, BCAA, etc)?

What's enough or too much?

The wonderer

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:28 pm

unfortunately there is no one "Right" answer to your questions... it depends a lot on the person...

do *I* need life insurance? no I don't.
do *YOU* need life insurance? I have no idea...

The reason I don't need life insurance is because my assets more than cover my debts (in fact my only debt at the moment is the mortgage, and the house is worth more than 4 times the value of the mortgage), and I have no dependents to support, so if I were to die, my estate would have money left over, and nobody that needed to live off it.

On the other hand, if you have a family with young children, and a large debt load, the answer is probably yes, you do need it. the big thing with life insurance is figuring out "if I were to die, what costs would my dependents have to bear, and am I leaving them the resources to cover those expenses?"

How much is enough? well... again, that all depends, "enough" is enough to cover the expenses you leave behind, that could be things like helping to raise children you've left behind, or simply cancelling out your debts, or enough to tide a spouse over long enough that they could get a job. it all depends on your personal situation. as I said, "enough" for me is none, for you it may be quite different.

As for where it's best to get it... shop around, find out what the premiums will cost, and what amount they cover, the TELUS plan has advantages because the company subsidizes part of it, and it's convenient (payroll deductions) and for most employees will probably be the best bet, but if you get a better deal through another club or what-not, there is nothing wrong with taking them up on it.

Return to “Meet and Greet”