Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Union folks will like this!

Meet people in the same sector as you or with similar situations.
alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Union folks will like this!

Postby alec » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:49 am

Jim Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying CANADIAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in CANADA....

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:07 pm

What's the moral of the story Alec? I bet we have differing views on that...

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:27 pm

I just post 'em I don't explain 'em...

JohnDoe
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby JohnDoe » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:06 pm

I just post 'em I don't explain 'em...
Sorry alec. Hate to be the one to say this, but that sounds like something Bruce Bell might say. :shock: No offense intended, again, sorry. :oops:

Have a great day everyone!

JohnDoe

Admin1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Admin1 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:10 pm

That was Alec's Point.....

Olive
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Olive » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:26 am

I think I know the point to his story.

- Anyone who hasnt crossed yet should be fired.

am I right? :lol: :lol:

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:57 pm

If there was a moral to the story I think it would be something like:

Practice what you preach.

or in TWU terms:

If you insist on being nationalistically protectionist you should not be using your purchasing dollars to support a globalistic economy.

wonderer
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby wonderer » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:54 pm

- Anyone who hasnt crossed yet should be fired.

am I right? :lol: :lol:
The dispute has been finished for almost a year and it would appear that the non-crossers were not fired en masse as Olive would have liked. More interesting in the past 6 months is that it appears that it is pretty much the crossers who are being terminated for whatever reasons and they are, in turn, are going to the union for representation at their investigative and disciplinary/termination meetings with follow-up grievances being fought where there are winnable cases.

Of course, any of these grievances will most likely be taken right to the arbitration level and one has to wonder what a crosser would think if the union did get their job back. What of an organization that will still fight fairly on someone's behalf even though that someone may not have supported that same organization? What of a shop steward who puts aside their anger at a crosser to still fight feveriously on their behalf?

Many lump all union activists together in one pile, but it needs to be realized that there are union activists who can remain strong in their convictions but at the same time turn around and still be civil as ever and fight as hard as ever for those who crossed them in the past. Yeah, they should've been all fired for not crossing.

The wonderer

grudey
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby grudey » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:43 am

Olive was being sarcastic and crossers aren't being fired. :roll:

wonderer
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby wonderer » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:09 am

... and crossers aren't being fired.
You have proof of this?

Very interesting as I know of quite a few crossers who've been terminated. Maybe it depends upon the area?

The wonderer

Admin1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Admin1 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:46 am

... and crossers aren't being fired.
You have proof of this?

Very interesting as I know of quite a few crossers who've been terminated. Maybe it depends upon the area?
You have proof that the crossers are being fired? If you are going to ask for proof in of one person, maybe you should prove your statement to be true. Just your say so means nothing. Further more your watching the crossers, Probably the same amount of strikers are being fired and perhaps they are all being fired for ligit reasons.

wonderer
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby wonderer » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:22 am

There can be no strikers fired as there were no strikers (re:CIRB).

As for proof, can't show any as it would comprimise the cases being fought for those terminated.

As for legitimate reasons, yes, there are probably legitimate reasons for the terminations for some inlcuding possibly non-crossers although I am aware of no non-crossers in my local that have been terminated to date.

The wonderer

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:41 pm

Cool, Wonderer... where is that CIRB decision that finally answers, once and for all that this was a lock out, not a strike. Because if you can find that you will really help out those TWU members who are being fined for crossing a picket line........

Find - Desiderata - read it

wonderer
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby wonderer » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Do remember picket lines up in response to lockout measures which is allowed as per the Canada Labour Code.

The wonderer

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:53 pm

None the less, W, the CIRB did NOT make call it a strike or lock out, that I know of. Have you heard different?

Find - Desiderata - read it

Return to “Meet and Greet”