Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

TWU Merger Committee

Compare the differences with the different available unions. Which is the better choice?

Which union should be in our future?

TWU
25%
Steel Workers
8%
CAW
No votes
CEP
No votes
Others
No votes
Decertify
67%

Total votes: 12

wonderer
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

TWU Merger Committee

Postby wonderer » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:35 pm

TWU Merger Committee - read about it at this link and apply at this link to be considered for this TWU Merger Committee.

Bruce Bell has spoken in the past of the TWU needing to merger with another union and involvement on this merger committee could be your chance to influence what is presented to the general TWU membership in the future.

CAW, the Steel Workers, CEP, ??? - plenty of possibilities could await us or we could remain the TWU.

The wonderer

wonderer
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby wonderer » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:33 pm

Am surprised at the none comments especially in light of the members of these forums who have acknowledged that decertifying is a pipe dream at best. If so then another union might be the answer and here is your chance to possibly be a member who can give this insight. If you believe you represent the silent majority, then why so mum? Or is the reasoning more like "we'll let them form their committee and make their recommendations and dump on it then"? A reactive bunch in here?

The wonderer

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:55 am

just because members acknowledge that decertification is highly unlikely doesn't mean they don't think it's the best option (the best option is rarely the most likely, and in this case, I would suspect that the worse the option, the higher it's probability)

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:03 pm

Wonderer. You said that the people on this site would do nothing but sit and wait for a suggestion, then just crap on it when it came out.

Be part of the solution or shut the h*ll up.

Find - Desiderata - read it

wonderer
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby wonderer » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:30 pm

Be part of the solution???

I am trying to be just that in more ways then you'd ever be aware and I would very much like to see the nonactive members step up be the difference. Decertification is not realistic in my opinion, so what union is the best choice.

The wonderer

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:57 am

Be part of the solution???

I am trying to be just that in more ways then you'd ever be aware and I would very much like to see the nonactive members step up be the difference. Decertification is not realistic in my opinion, so what union is the best choice.
I understand that you hope to see non-members or let’s say “non-supportive members” step forward and become involved but with your knee jerk slap in the face of our board's members you will not find many acolytes.

Offer some ideas about *how* to become involved, or better yet motivate people to become involved. Instead of insulting people try to find ways to remove the barriers (real or perceived) that these members face.

That said, I would ask that only TWU members respond to this poll please. I am not sure if you can see the results and not vote.

As it stands only 5 people have participated, 1 wants TWU in their future and 4 want decertification.

dante666
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby dante666 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:00 pm

well I should go on record as the 1 who voted for the TWU.

To get added to another larger union would further remove the members from the executive level. Also who is going to run for any local position in the larger union.. well more than likley it will be the same folks that were running the show in the TWU. Just like in alberta.. all those that were active in the IBEW became the active members of the TWU. Those that were not active then.. by and large are not active now. So really the only thing that will change will be where your dues go.

Decertify, and form a Employee Association.... Again... who is gonna run it. The current TWU members who do not wish to participate in the current union.. doubt it.... and as for no union.. Me thinks this is a bad plan.. don't get me wrong I'm a Telus Fanboi through and through.. but I'm not so blinded by the telus colors to think that things would get better for us as a non union shop.

So that brings us to keeping the TWU. The TWU is ours, and only on thing will save it.. and that is particapation. Get out, get your voice heard, and don't let them give you crap for having an opinion. Remeber there are power in numbers.

Or there is one other option (my fav) and that is to work your a** off to get in to a managment position and make change there.

Grand Vizor of the Sacred Order of the Rebirth of S-Mart

wonderer
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby wonderer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:15 pm

Thank you, dante666, for your wise words and I do apologize if I offeded anyone with my previous posts. Certainly, I agree that some sort of union shop is required as the current environment at TELUS has many front line managers doing almost anything to often ensure their continued employment - no union shop and watch our working conditions and expectations change considerably. 60-70 hour work weeks for them is often the norm and just in the past two weeks, their long term sick leave got cut back to 3 months. This, they are not happy about and there's nothing they can do about that. At least we have 130 days of long term sick leave for 25 year employees (might need less years in than that, just don't recall right now) and even that is a fair bit less than the year we used to get. 3 months - well, have a heart attack or get into a bad car accident and see how quickly that chews up 3 months of sick leave.

Back on track, I didn't vote for the TWU, haven't voted in this poll and certainly in our local, the old IBEW guard is not there running the show. What would be welcomed is some new "young" faces as the executive is aging and we need members to become involved and active now instead of when the bus is only inches away.

The wonderer

Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Cat Lady » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:07 pm

Just added my vote for the Steelworkers.
Democracy in the Steelworkers means officers at every level are responsible to the membership.
Here is the rest of it with a link at the bottom.
THE MOST DEMOCRATIC UNION
The membership of each local elects its own officers, and each bargaining unit elects its own bargaining committee members. Each unit sets its own goals for bargaining, and each member votes by secret ballot on whether to accept the collective agreement.

Unique amongst unions in Canada, the Steelworkers ensures that all members have a vote, not only on their local officers every three years, but also in the election every four years of district, national and international officers. Each member votes in a secret ballot referendum. Most other unions elect their top officers by a vote of delegates at a convention.

Democracy in the Steelworkers means officers at every level are responsible to the membership.

The union’s overall policies are set at the biennial Canadian Policy Conference and at the Steelworkers’ International Constitutional Convention.

Link:
http://www.usw.ca/program/content/966.php

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:32 pm

United Steelworkers are most definitely NOT democratic Cat:

www.freethelivelyseven.org

They want you in you are IN, you are NEVER out. They signed up enough banks in and around Sudbury that they could include one that did NOT want to be in. The United Steelworkers will NOT let them out. ALL SEVEN in one branch wat outside Sudbury asked to be excluded from the blanket certification, the Steelworkers and the CIRB have refused. They call the seven votes inconsequential to the democracy of the larger group, regardless of the fact that these ladies are 45 minutes from Sudbury and all of them voted no to the united Steelworkers.

The United Steelworkers of America are not what you may believe:
Detroit Ex-Local Secretary Pleads Guilty to Embezzlement

On August 29, Linda Holden, former financial secretary-treasurer for Local 639 of the United Steelworkers of America, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan to one count of embezzlement of union funds in the amount of $74,090. The guilty plea follows an investigation by the Labor Department’s Office of Labor-Management Standards.
http://www.nlpc.org/view.asp?action=vie ... e&aid=1724

read more of them for the Steelworkers: http://www.nlpc.org/artindx.asp#uswa

I don't ascribe to many of her opinions about the values of Unions but this is an excellant piece about parge buiness unions like the Teamsters, CAW and Steelworkers of America.
Workplace Democracy and Unions
Written by Wanda Pasz Monday, 30 January 2006

Unions-as-we-know-them are an extension of the corporatist system. They are a distant shadow of the grassroots organizations that sprung up during the 100 year war against the capitalists and their greedier more ruthless successors, the corporatists.

Today's unions are "government approved" organizations whose role is to control workers while providing a tepid sort of workplace representation on a narrow range of issues. They're tools of the state and, in some cases, tools of the employers whose workers they are "certified" to represent.
this site is www.uncahrted.ca

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:34 pm

United Steelworkers are most definitely NOT democratic Cat:

www.freethelivelyseven.org

They want you in you are IN, you are NEVER out. They signed up enough banks in and around Sudbury that they could include one that did NOT want to be in. The United Steelworkers will NOT let them out. ALL SEVEN in one branch way outside Sudbury asked to be excluded from the blanket certification - the Steelworkers and the CIRB have refused. They call the seven votes inconsequential to the democracy of the larger group, regardless of the fact that these ladies are 45 minutes from Sudbury and all of them voted no to the united Steelworkers.

The United Steelworkers of America are not what you may believe:
Detroit Ex-Local Secretary Pleads Guilty to Embezzlement

On August 29, Linda Holden, former financial secretary-treasurer for Local 639 of the United Steelworkers of America, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan to one count of embezzlement of union funds in the amount of $74,090. The guilty plea follows an investigation by the Labor Department’s Office of Labor-Management Standards.
http://www.nlpc.org/view.asp?action=vie ... e&aid=1724

read more of them for the Steelworkers: http://www.nlpc.org/artindx.asp#uswa

I don't ascribe to many of her opinions about the values of Unions but this is an excellant piece about large buiness unions like the Teamsters, CAW and Steelworkers of America.
Workplace Democracy and Unions
Written by Wanda Pasz Monday, 30 January 2006

Unions-as-we-know-them are an extension of the corporatist system. They are a distant shadow of the grassroots organizations that sprung up during the 100 year war against the capitalists and their greedier more ruthless successors, the corporatists.

Today's unions are "government approved" organizations whose role is to control workers while providing a tepid sort of workplace representation on a narrow range of issues. They're tools of the state and, in some cases, tools of the employers whose workers they are "certified" to represent.
This piece is here:http://www.uncharted.ca/content/view/64/21/

this site is www.uncharted.ca

bobby.h
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby bobby.h » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:30 pm

See, now I disagree with the whole "Lively Seven" mess.

Those seven ladies may be all at one branch, but it was the CIRB that ultimately decided that they were in the same bargaining unit as the rest - NOT the Steelworkers.

Their seven votes may have been out of seven in their separate branch, but out of the whole bargaining unit are far from being a majority.

Those seven certainly have a valid point - they were included in a union and they don't wish to be - I disagree with them but I respect their views. However, their issues should be directed at labour law in Canada and the CIRB. The Steelworkers are simply following the rules established by law.

aka HeyRob

wonderer
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby wonderer » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:33 pm

So the scoop from the shop floor is that Bruce Bell's camp is heavily supporting the move to a new union and the union of choice for many in that camp is the Steelworkers. In reality, a move to a new union or with a larger union may be in our membership's best interests as TWU local 60's contract is up in 2008 an dthere probably won't be much of a strike fund in place for their use (if needed).

TWU local 32 has a petition available on their web site to basically push for a call for the TWU EC to bring the whole merger issue to the forefront. So, do you want the Steelworkers or something else. No doubt the CAW, the IBEW and the CEP all might be looking at us and possibly even the dreaded Horsemen. The CEP has recent history of poor contracts, the IBEW's record in Alberta wasn't much better and the CAW, well they've got Buzz and quite a history of raiding other unions and not giving much back in return in the form of good contracts. The Horsemen, who knows.

In reality, a union is still in our future but which one should it be?

The wonderer

grudey
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby grudey » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:14 am

Actually wonderer, the vast majority of people in Alberta were happy with the IBEW. BC just had more people.

Return to “TWU vs. IBEW vs. ?”