Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Nova Scotia Power announce Stora's Startup

Help dispel some of the rumours regarding the Stora Enso dispute.
StoraMan
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Nova Scotia Power announce Stora's Startup

Postby StoraMan » Fri May 12, 2006 11:23 am

What a joke. The media got this one wrong but NSP was crazy to base their figures on Stora starting up Aug 1.

NSP does throw a few good mistruths out their though when they publicly say the saved all this money with Stora being down. Sure their costs were down as for much of it they would have been anyway because of the mild winter we had, but what they don't tell everyone is that their revenue was also down. But what do they care they are a legalized monopoly that is guaranteed a certain level of profit who can throw cost increases back onto industry and consumers. Oh they forgot to also mention that because the dollar is so high their exports to the US don't give them near as much profit, and because the Hydro is so much cheaper starting this time of year, they will not be able to compete to sell the extra power over the next several months. So with Stora down, who alone normally consume over 14% of the entire power used in Nova Scotia, their next quarter will be guaranteed a loss, at least compared to last year.

Here's how it works in Nova Scotia. The largest customer (Stora Enso) pays the highest price. Can you imagine buying a car and paying a lower price than the guy who buys multiple cars in bulk? The rate structure is messed up and NSP are trying to position themselves so the rate board sides with them.

Laws need to change and deregulation needs to be complete to allow competitive power into the province. But first the regulatory board needs to act fast and do the right and fair thing. Give Stora a proper rate structure. The existing one was designed for a much lower load factor and dollar amount than what Stora Enso now uses. Stora consumes more power now because of the new TMP plant (Thermal Mechanical Pulp).

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sat May 13, 2006 9:12 pm

From what I have been able to glean from al lthe media this is getting out there, Stora Enso is going to, dare I say, pull the plug? What will that do to NSP losing its major consumer?

I see more Stora folks on the site now. Are any of you close enough to the politics of the power company (husbands & wives) to know what the effect would be to NSP?

StoraMan
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby StoraMan » Mon May 15, 2006 6:52 am

It's not a question of what it will do to NSP because they are a monopoly. And not just any monopoly. They are a monopoly that is guaranteed a certain level of profit for their shareholders, so if they start making less profit (which is what would happen if StoraEnso pulled out), they would get rate increases that would affect the consumers and other businesses. Basically we would pick up the tab for their shareholders, and start paying more once again for power.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon May 15, 2006 8:37 am

Man, that sucks hard. I guess this would fall under "What else bad happens to PH" when Stora leaves eh? How many people live in Port Hawksbury?

StoraMan
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby StoraMan » Mon May 15, 2006 11:41 am

Around 4000.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon May 15, 2006 2:38 pm

That's just not big enough to live through something like a plant of that size closing is it? Fingers crossed my friend, let's see if they come and talk.

wolfwatcher007
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby wolfwatcher007 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:01 pm

I think 4000 are plenty to weather the Stora storm, if it does wreak the havoc so many pessimists are crying about.
The heavy water plant closed, and Port Hawkesbury remains. Other industries have closed and POrt Hawkesbury remains. Stora already reduced its workforce by a significant amount and POrt Hawkesbury remains.

Linden MacIntyre recently gave a speech in town and mentioned Sydney. It also lost industries, yet it remains. The economy is not the lost corporations, he says, "The economy is its people." "The heroes are the small business people." It's something to think about.
Where are we going from here.

Don't you wonder why the company chose lock-out rather than negotiation?

Don't you wonder why they publicly warned take it or leave it,' rather than seriously attend to negotiations?

Home is home, in Cape Breton.
Family is family and corporations are profit driven.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:24 pm

Hello WW007 - Welcome.. I like your byline... very true - I love double entendres.
I think 4000 are plenty to weather the Stora storm, if it does wreak the havoc so many pessimists are crying about.
The heavy water plant closed, and Port Hawkesbury remains. Other industries have closed and POrt Hawkesbury remains. Stora already reduced its workforce by a significant amount and POrt Hawkesbury remains.

Linden MacIntyre recently gave a speech in town and mentioned Sydney. It also lost industries, yet it remains. The economy is not the lost corporations, he says, "The economy is its people." "The heroes are the small business people." It's something to think about.
Where are we going from here.

Don't you wonder why they publicly warned take it or leave it,' rather than seriously attend to negotiations?
I assume this means that Stora will close and good riddance?

The comment on ... the company chose lockout rather than negotiation... do you mean Stora planned to shut the plant down all along?

Find - Desiderata - read it

StoraMan
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby StoraMan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:24 am

Note the population in Port Hawkesbury wasn't always this amount. After Stora came the town grew. If StoraEnso leaves the town will go backwards. The small businesses are only feeling it a little right now. There are reasons why it hasnt had a great impact yet and they are because many of the guys have deferrals on their mortgages, they are making $400 to $500 a week tax free and those who went out west left their families here and send the money back home. but if StoraEnso pulls out then within 6 to 12 months many people will be flocking westward or out of town to somewhere else. and many small businesses will go under.
No. I know why. The company was forced into a lockout situation because the union were in a legal strike position and voted to strike but didnt actually go out on strike knowing that the company would have to lock them out instead and look like the bad guy. The company has binding contracts with its customers and suppliers. They cant run a business under uncertainty like this as the union could start wildcat striking. Dont show up one day, machines go down. Show up the next day and get paid to help start machines up again. dont show up again a few days later and so on.
The unions public sympathy trick didnt work.
The union was the one not seriously attending to negotiations. The company tried bargaining in good faith but the union kept power bargaining waiting for the company to make most of the moves and kept saying no to all the companys main concession requests. The company laid it out on the table up front and asked for help to work out solutions to the problems. The only things the union would negotiate were the items that they wanted especially the pattern. the company gave the pattern but needed compromise on other local concessions. the union wouldnt agree on what was pattern and eventually the company took the issues that were is disagreement regarding pattern out of the contract offer and put them in the recovery plan. then it was back to power bargaining again for the union. That's not negotiating. forcing the pattern on the company with no room to negotiate it, is Not negotiating.

As far as, "Family is family and corporations are profit driven" whats your point. Of course corporations are profit driven otherwise they would not survive in this global economy. a healthy profit mean secure future for families in Cape Breton as well as much of the Mainland. The one thing you left out was how Unions are self serving and greedy for corporations money even if at the expense of everyone elses familys future in the community.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:02 pm

and... the microphone goes back to WolfWatcher007...

wolfwatcher007
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby wolfwatcher007 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:14 pm

"The one thing you left out was how Unions are self serving and greedy for corporations money even if at the expense of everyone elses familys future in the community. "

Wrong. Unions can be self-serving. But they're only as good as the membership and leadership. Your 'greedy' may be read to be 'needy' by some.

Here are some community contributions Stora Kopperberg and Stora Port Hawkesbury did (outside of contracts) that were dropped by the present
Stora operating group:

1) Family Christmas party
2) July 1st family picnic
3) $600 bursaries for post-secondary education for students of family working at the mill (union and non-union)
4) significant number of summer jobs for post-secondary students of workers (union and non-union)

And various other charities have seen reduced contributions.

While the major shareholder int he company, which I hear is the Government of Finland, holds very lucrative leases to the crown lands of Nova Scotia.

Home is home, in Cape Breton.
Family is family and corporations are profit driven.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:46 pm

While the major shareholder int he company, which I hear is the Government of Finland, holds very lucrative leases to the crown lands of Nova Scotia.
All good points, seemingly factual.. don't ruin it with heresay and... "I heard from my brothers neighbour, who knew a guy that said..."

StoraMan2
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby StoraMan2 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:44 pm

Here are some community contributions Stora Kopperberg and Stora Port Hawkesbury did (outside of contracts) that were dropped by the present
Stora operating group:

1) Family Christmas party
2) July 1st family picnic
3) $600 bursaries for post-secondary education for students of family working at the mill (union and non-union)
4) significant number of summer jobs for post-secondary students of workers (union and non-union)

And various other charities have seen reduced contributions.
It's unfortunate that these community contributions were dropped but on the other hand it does speak to the financial troubles that Stora has suffered these past years. One can only hope that things turn around in the industry and we'll see some of these programs reappear, especially the student jobs and bursaries given today's tuition rates.

St John
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby St John » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:56 pm

Bravo,bravo brudder. Finally a positive word from you. Keep er coming.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:59 pm

Sy John, you would not like me if you knew my politics, but I have to tell me, I am warming to your bizarre activism and your outta the sun idealism. You're way out there, whichis why I think you are fitting in.

Storaman2, great statement it take courage to say your team needed help, and made a hard choice. If no else says it, good on ya.

Return to “Rumour Mill”