Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

OLRB... Still making life tough for the little guy... girl.

For the Canadian Construction Sector
NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

OLRB... Still making life tough for the little guy... girl.

Postby NC » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:47 pm

Here you go people, start reading, I'd like to hear if any of the regulars have any input on this. I got an email asking for my opinion...

Read this mess, I'd love any help I can get understanding what the hell is going on.

http://www.olrb.gov.on.ca/Decision%5C0106-10-R.pdf

Find - Desiderata - read it

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:08 pm

wow... complicated...

Quick summary:
- employees try to file decert
- union tries to prevent it through confusing the issue with multiple unions
- judge sees through it all and orders the union to accept the application
- judge orders a vote on the decertification
- everyone lives happily ever after?

It looks like the union tried to make themselves immune to decertification through effective use of smoke and mirrors, they made sure that there were at least 4 different unions involved (for a workplace of only 4 employees! talk about top heavy!), so that no matter who the employees try to decert against they end up being able to claim that it's not them, it's the OTHER union. and failing that, they can claim they know of no decert application because it was delivered to the wrong union.

That said, the judge (correctly) noted, that the burden of notifying all the different unions involved does not fall to the employee, but to the union, as they are likely to be talking to one another anyway, and it would be too difficult for the individual employee to keep track. Of particular note is that the employees DID notify their local union office, and that this is the same union office that issued their union membership cards. (In other words, they did their absolute best, and there is no way they could reasonably have been expected to figure out the complicated administrative mess the union had created behind the scenes)

All in all, shameful misdirection on the part of the union, and a sensible reaction from the judge.

The date ordered for the vote was back in april... did they succeed?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:48 am

I am waiting to hear. I have very little to go on, just a sadly plaintive email about the trouble this person has been having. It is very upsetting and none too cheap either I suspect. I hope this lady has some help because it looks like this has been a tough road.

I know JJ is off the scope for a short while, I got an email to post on the Ontario Construction issue that suggests he is not near proper email so we cannot count on him.

Find - Desiderata - read it

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:47 am

Well that decision looks sensible, the real question would be what happened next?
Did the vote ever happen? and what was the outcome?

What trouble are they running in to now?

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:22 am

cue the axe handles and baseball bats.....

TWwho?

Return to “General Discussion”